Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sustainable DIY


Do-It-Yourself. How empowering, to be able to “do-it-yourself.” As a designer, I have seen the change in approaches of design in the world. Just by watching HGTV for a decade, I have seen the shows I watch transform from the original idea of designers coming up with unique solutions only they could create to the idea that the viewers could take their ideas and recreate them at home “easily.” How many times do you read in a magazine or watch on a television show a designer exclaiming how easy it is to recreate their “look” or how the viewer or reader can find similar items in shops near them? As a viewer or reader I feel empowered to create! Anne Thorpe discusses in The Designers Atlas of Sustainability the idea that when consumers are engaged in the products or artifacts they are purchasing more meaning is created. This means to me, that when someone is involved in making decisions about a purchase there will be a longer lasting and better result in the product. The same goes for “DIY” projects. The person will be happier with what they have and the product will be more utilized and kept for a longer period than just some random Wal-Mart particle board furnishing or Hanes T-shirt. Therefore, I am an avid “DIY” girl. The products that I spent time on or re-created are some of my favorite pieces or accessories. These items will be in my home for many years to come, whereas my cheap Wal-Mart finds will be simply discarded. DIY is the way to go!

 Incidentally a differing opinion in the media is shown in Anne Thorpe’s Atlas as she suggests that “much of what we see in visuality looks real but isn’t”. This is the negative image that is stereotypical of the media. However, because of our “watching nature” as a society visuality is one part of our culture that I believe can be utilized as a tool for sustainability. In today’s culture, the media prominently does not portray reality. However, just as the Dove Company has recreated the so-called “image” of models, I believe that the same can be done in the design world. The beauty of the media is that it reaches so many people, and is able to aid in decisions of society.  Every day, and through every portal of technology: Facebook, YouTube, Google, Television, and Magazines I am exposed to hundreds of ads and commercials displaying products and opinions. Consequently, I am persuaded to try a new food at Taco Bell or to buy new shoes from Payless. Therefore, the media is one avenue that I believe can make a change in peoples opinions on “sustainability.” If a commercial was made for sustainability similar to the “above the influence” or “dove” campaigns societies opinion would be changed. There would be a greater movement to recycle or choose the cleaning product that is “eco-friendly” and a greater awareness for sustainability would then be created in our culture.

Frank Sherman author of Selling Sustainability suggests that many large corporations are moving towards the “green” movement of sustainability. Some of the companies he examples in his article are Wal-Mart and L.L. Bean. He explains that the Wal-Mart Corporation does not consider itself to exactly be a sustainable company, but many of their production practices are focused on this aspect. L.L. Bean however is a major leader in sustainability and even follows LEED in each and every aspect of their company. Both of these companies as well as other “green retailers” do not want customers to buy less, however suggesting that customers make better choices and purchase “greener” products which in turn will help to reduce the environmental footprint. He also states that “the best green retailers today promote their values, offer products that can have a positive environmental impact, and focus on the environmental efficiency of their operations and supply chain as core business improvement strategies. They lead by example and demonstrate that going green is good for business.” This view should be taken by many other companies and corporations to provide the world of consumers with more sustainable products and solutions. This would make a huge change in everyone’s lives!

Yet, design is heavily impacted by economics. This is problematic for the idea of sustainable design to spread. However, some companies have begun partaking in the cause of sustainability. The Fair Trade corporation has become a leading example of sustainability globally. Their idea is further explained in their mission statement:

“We seek to empower family farmers and workers around the world, while enriching the lives of those struggling in poverty. Rather than creating dependency on aid, we use a market-based approach that empowers farmers to get a fair price for their harvest, helps workers create safe working conditions, provides a decent living wage and guarantees the right to organize. Through direct, equitable trade, farming and working families are able to eat better, keep their kids in school, improve health and housing, and invest in the future. Keeping families, local economies, the natural environment, and the larger community strong today and for generations to come; these are the results we seek through Fair Trade.”

This is one of the best examples I have seen of a corporation focusing on sustainability. If more organizations focused on these types of standards, then the world would be altogether more sustainable. As I was researching I found out more about other organizations that follow this example of Fair Trade in the fashion industry: Autonomie Project Incorporated, Dhana, Esteam Europe LTD, Good and Fair Clothing, Greenlight Apparel, HAE Now, Indigenous Designs Corp, Liberty & Justice, Maggie’s Organics, Marci Zaroff Sustainable Brands, Prana, The Peanut Shell, Tompkins Point Apparel just to name a few. I was proud to find out that Prana was on this list, because I recently purchased a headband from them and loved it! You might be surprised to find out that some items you have previously purchased come from companies with sustainability in mind.

     Another example of sustainable strategies in our world is through the work of non-profit organizations. Thorpe explains, “a nonprofit structure allows you to make doing-things-for-a-good-cause your bottom line.” Two organizations I have found to be major incorporators of sustainability are: Architects for Humanity and ADPSR Architects/Designers/Planners for Social Responsibility. Similar to that of Free Trade USA, Architects for Humanity views design as:

Alleviating poverty and providing access to water, sanitation, power and essential services, bringing safe shelter to communities prone to disaster and displaced populations, rebuilding community and creating neutral spaces for dialogue in post-conflict areas, mitigating the effects of rapid urbanization in unplanned settlements, creating spaces to meet the needs of those with disabilities and other at-risk populations, and reducing the footprint of the built environment and addressing climate change.

Therefore, the design world is not just focusing on “sustainability” in the big corporations, but also through the different projects of non-profit organizations. So as designers we must push for a more sustainable world, and to do this we need to look for opportunities to help the change. Whether this means to purchase our resources and materials from the companies that focus on sustainability, convince our clients to “DIY” or look to other non-profit organizations as examples we need to encourage change! 

8 comments:

  1. Hayley,

    What a long and informative blog you wrote! I enjoyed reading through your research, well done! The beginning of your blog is very similar to my last one about the DIY projects. I myself enjoy doing the same thing and creating a "look alike" product or even better. Great way to up-cycle!! A question I had come up last week with my blog was considering the fact that not every one has the creative streak like we as designers do, therefore if they are capable for the DIY projects, what would be other ideas you have in mind for going the sustainable route? Another great blog Hayley, good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! Yes, I agree. I really appreciate DIY projects, and in the reading Thorpe discussed DIY in her Cooked Versus Raw section. I have such a passion for DIY projects, and believe that raising awareness for anything sustainable is well worth it! I just love how amazing it feels to take something that isnt very attractive and be able to make it a showcase piece or beautiful accessory. It is so rewarding to DIY. I agree, that not everyone can be creative to come up with their own "design" ideas or make something wonderful up on the spot. However, I do think that the media helps people to do things they normally couldnt do alone. Its almost like the Food Network, I might not have known how to make a great dinner in 30 minutes or less like Rachel Ray, but if I followed her instructions I could imitate the same recipe. I feel like HGTV and the DIY network can help aid people in the same way. These shows help to explain ways you can change something you already had with a few easy steps or even just some paint. I guess, if someone was really not capable then research would be the best option to finding sustainable products that are pre made. I would just inform them how to get more information and maybe some companies that focused on the factor of sustainability. I just believe anyone can do anything they put their mind too so I believe that anyone could DIY if they wanted to!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Haley;
    There really is a lot going on out there! How are these companies, like Wal-mart with their policies, influencing a shift in how we value natural resources? Or, are they? In your opinion, do you think these companies are changing our culture to better meet fundamental human needs? Or, is this a PR tactic?
    I think one improvement that could be made to your blog is better connection between the course concepts and the industry examples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Armstrong,

      There really is a lot going on out there! This class has made me realize how little I knew of the world around me, but also how much I can do to help as an individual. I'm not sure that it is as simple as that. Wal-Marts policies will not completely change the problem of sustainability, and I dont believe that as consumers we are really aware of what these companies are doing to help. I believe that any step to improve the environment is good, and I believe that the more companies, people, and advertisements that focus on sustainability the better chance we have at improving the world around us for future generations. Here is Walmarts declaration to become a more sustainable company: "At Walmart, we know that being an efficient and profitable business and being a good steward of the environment are goals that can work together. Our broad environmental goals at Walmart are simple and straightforward:

      To be supplied 100 percent by renewable energy;
      To create zero waste;
      To sell products that sustain people and the environment."

      However, I don't believe it is just a PR tactic. I believe that any company that makes a conscious choice to improve their production practices as well as a choice to help society become more aware of the issue of sustainability could never be a bad thing. As I have researched, I have come to the realization that sustainable practices are not the most economical, therefore a multi-million dollar company would not spend the money to practice sustainability unless the company wanted to help aid in the fight for a more sustainable world. Thank you for your advice about my blog, and I hope next week I can work on better connecting the concepts and examples.

      Delete
  3. Haley,
    I love DIY as well! I am definitely a DIY girl and I totally agree with Thorpe and yourself that we as consumers, like to be involved. We cherish things that we can participate in or add our personal touch. I think that work through non-profit organizations is a great way to do this because, we as people can get involved in this and as a non-profit organization, the way I see it is they've got nothing to lose! If more non-profit organizations started pushing sustainability and recycling and going green and got the people involved with their donations, i think that as a society we could start a movement. I know that I personally feel better when I feel like I have done something for a "good cause" or to help out a friend, or in this case the environment. What kind of things do you think that these organizations could get involved in and why do you think that they haven't already? Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are a great advocate of DIY as well, and understand the feeling of pride after you complete a project! I sometimes feel that non-profit organizations are forgotten, therefore I wanted to provide my readers with an alternative option for sustainability. Whether that means we as designers push up our sleeves and volunteer, give money to the organization, or simply look to these non-profit organizations as examples. I love your idea of involvement. I truly believe that awareness and involvement are the only ways society will ever change. Once one person starts then another person starts and so on and so forth until countless people have made the change happen. I am just like you, because I feel accomplished and proud of myself when I see that I have helped someone out. I believe that these organizations could get involved by having events where recycling or up-cycling is incorporated. If these organizations had an event where the community brought all of the products or trash they didnt want then more things could be saved and transformed into other things. More stuff would be recycled and the organization would be able to transform items into new products to give away. Thats just one idea, but im sure together we could come up with so much more! Thanks Jessica!

      Delete
  4. Haley,

    Loved your take once again on your blog post again! i have to say i am all about DIY and partake in as many as I can have time for! I think you are completely right when you talk about the involvement a DIY project takes and how it hold deeper meaning and pride therefore resulting in a longer product life time to a person. I also love the idea of how if sustainability issues were taken to the media it could make a huge impact! I think that many more consumers would be informed of the issues going on and it could help spark a large movement! This could happen with the involvement of non-profit organizations like the ones you mentioned! I really feel through this whole learning process that lack of communication is a large problem associated to unattainable practices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaitlin,

      Thank you so much! I love that so many of us in the interior design major have the love of DIY in common. I'm glad you agree about the "deeper meaning," because I feel that if I spend time on something it means more than just spending $20 on something manufactured. Good, I believe the media can be a great tool if only it was used in the right way. I'm glad that through learning about sustainability I have become aware of so many avenues I can utilize and look to in my own endeavor to create a more sustainable world. Communication and awareness is vital to our culture.

      Delete