Monday, June 18, 2012

Think Twice



This week I learned so much, and have realized that the world isn’t always, as we perceive it at first glance. When I see a gold ring on a woman’s hand my first reaction is not to think about all the bad chemicals used to make the jewelry or even how much raw material is taken out of the environment to create this shiny object, but more so how beautiful it is. However, more than anything what I learned is
 to not assume something is one way when it is not. To be more aware of my surroundings, what I am purchasing, and where an item comes from and how it is made. Just as last week, this week my eyes were again widened to new information I had never even considered before. Really as a society we need to stop making assumptions about what we are buying or where something comes from, before we have researched it ourselves. We need to think with a third mindset, a mindset that values sustainability and the people, organizations and practices that carefully consider this idea. Without a change from each and every individual, the hope for a more sustainable world is dim. So next time you think about purchasing an object, research it first: Where does it come from? What practices are used in the production? Is it eco-friendly? Is it a sustainable object? Is there more than one option to choose from? Can I purchase at an affordable price? Can I learn more? Is what I thought I wanted really the best choice for the rest of society and myself? And how will my purchase benefit others? Maybe, if these questions were raised and answered more frequently we as a society would be more knowledgeable about our purchases and feel better about our part in the world. Next time think twice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment